Saturday, August 13, 2016

Dragon Awards: Chasing Freedom Nominated for Best Apocalyptic Novel



Picture this for a moment. I come back to the hotel after a killer day at Disney, borrow my husband's laptop just to check my Facebook notifications, and suddenly discover everyone is tagging me in their Dragon Awards posts. I'm thinking, "Cool, the nominations must have come out, and my friends are thanking me because I voted for them."

Nope.

Let's just say after I clicked on one of the links, some words left my mouth that may not be suitable for the Disney target audience. Before you get too excited, I kept it to PG-13, but still.

After that, I had to explain to the family about DragonCon and their first ever Dragon Awards. What I could not explain is how exactly my debut novel ended up in such rarefied company. In fact, I did not nominate my own work. But apparently there are some fans of mine out there, and so here I am, asking for your vote in the finals.

You can register to vote here (click the Register to Vote tab to proceed). Unlike with the Award-That-Will-Not-Be-Named (really, WorldCon? $50 to vote?), it costs nothing to sign up, and authors are encouraged to campaign. It truly is a fan-driven award, as proven by the number of self-published and small-press authors among the nominees.

Congratulations and best of luck to my fellow nominees, including the following CLFA members:

Larry Correia (Son of the Black Sword)
Dave Freer (Changeling's Island)
Declan Finn (Honor at Stake)
Brian Niemeier (Souldancer)
Nick Cole (Ctrl Alt Revolt!)*
Mark H. Wandrey (A Time to Die)*

*Nick and Mark are my competitors in the Apocalyptic Novel category and supremely worthy opponents.

On the bright side, I am not competing against John C. Wright (Somewhither), or I just might have been forced to vote against myself.

The full ballot is here (I'm linking to Locus Online because it has live links to all the nominees). Once you confirm your registration, you will receive a private ballot e-mailed to you. Voting closes September 1st and the winners will be announced at DragonCon in Atlanta in the first week of September.

Once again, many thanks to all my supporters, and may the best works win!

No comments:

Post a Comment